While the old adage tells us that there’s a first time for everything, there are times when you don’t have to feel like a total “noob” when you visit Downtown Las Vegas for the first time. If you’re finally visiting Las Vegas and have chosen to stay in the downtown area instead of on The Strip, that was your smartest move so far. Here’s some additional inside information that will help you overcome that newbie status.
• Always tip the bartender, dealer, or waitress – tipping your server is a cardinal rule in Las Vegas. It’s always a good idea to award service, especially when it’s been good to exceptional. While the drinks may be free when you’re gambling, the person serving you is still stopping to take your order and get your drink. So reward them a dollar or two with every drink. It will still be cheaper than paying for the drink.
• Drinks are FREE when you gamble – although there’s no such thing as a free lunch, drinks are usually complimentary when you’re gambling. Just be aware that different casinos have different rules pertaining to free drinks. So make sure you check with your bartender or server first.
• Visit several casinos – the old adage “Don’t spend all your money in one place” is the rule of them when gambling in Downtown Las Vegas. One of the benefits of staying in Downtown Las Vegas is how the casinos are in close proximity to one another. Just remember, although casinos on The Strip appear to be close together, looks are often deceiving.
• Yes, it’s true; you can drink outdoors – you’re allowed to drink outside in Downtown Las Vegas, but there are a couple of caveats. First and foremost, you have to be of legal age (of course). Second, you can’t be drinking out of a bottle or a can. When you’re strolling down Fremont Street, drinking from bottles and cans isn’t allowed. It’s a common policy throughout the area and is enforced for your safety.
• Most importantly, pace yourself – remember, you’re in a city that lives by a 24-hour clock which means entertainment and partying is available throughout the day and night, whether you’re in Downtown Las Vegas or walking The Strip. While day drinking is not uncommon when visiting Vegas, it can be overwhelming as well as exciting. Pace yourself to avoid peaking too early.
After spending a long day doing the above, get some sleep at the Oasis at Gold Spike and recharge for the next day. Our beautiful hotel is located just a walk away from the Strip, yet is within the quitter section of downtown Las Vegas. Call us today at (702) 768-9823.